Tuesday, June 17, 2008

TWD: Peppermint Cream Puff Ring


I modified this week's recipe nearly beyond recognition. Some of the modifications were on purpose, some were accidental, but I doubt any of them were for the better.
The recipe calls for precisely 40 mint leaves, left to steep for hours. I didn't want to deal with 40 mint leaves, and I didn't want to wait for my pastry cream to sit, so I used Dorie's vanilla pastry cream recipe instead. I'd like to try peppermint pastry cream some day, perhaps when my mint starts to grow and I have so much I don't know what to do with it (fingers crossed!)
The part of the dessert that really led me down the road to failure was the puff pastry. I know nothing of the science of a pate a choux, but from what I've read on the TWD Q&A, my failure has something to do with imprecise temperature readings on my oven. Internal temperature is a crapshoot at our house. They fell into ugly little messes by the minute after their removal. It must've resembled the look on my face.
The success of some desserts rely on aesthetics. An eclair is the perfect example. Don't bother if you have a finicky oven.

8 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Bah, aesthetics are overrated. What really matters is this - did they taste good?

ostwestwind said...

Isn't it the taste that count? How did they taste

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Susie Homemaker said...

what? I think it looks good enough to eat! (you DID eat it, right?!)
Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I think yours looked really good. I hope the tasted good too.

Jules Someone said...

Who cares how it looks! I'm sure it tasted wonderful.

Michelle H said...

I didn't want to wait for the cream either! hehe!

It looks great, you did an awesome job. :o)

Jacque said...

Hey, they look good! :) Sorry about the puff problems, it's disappointing to spend the time and effort for a less than ideal outcome.

They do make small, inexpensive dial oven thermometers that you can put inside your oven to verify the temperature. I actualy have two of them, one for each side. You find them where they keep the kitchen utinsels and gadgets. I don't know... maybe those might help?

Jaime said...

your eclair still looks great to me, what's wrong with it?!

these aren't that finicky to temperature variances in the oven, but they do need to cook thoroughly in the oven or else they will deflate. you have to bake them until super golden and brown - almost to where they look like they are going to burn. or, as others suggested, try getting a $5 oven thermometer